Saturday, June 20, 2009

HEY LAWALS - TURN THE TV OFF

I always really look forward to the summer break. I love the choice I have to lie in or to get up. I love it that I don't have to make pack lunches every morning. I love getting to chill with the kids. As we say in England - a change is as good as a rest.

But love my kids as I do - their squabbling drives me a bit nuts.

So I thought about what the problem could be. TURN THE TV OFF came the reply.

I was letting the kids watch way too much TV. In my mind I was justifying the fact that they need to relax. But I was finding the kids were arguing more and more.

I think the TV was making them brain-dead and cranky - but guess whose in charge around here! So I decided to make the terrifying decision to tell my kids - TURN THE TV OFF!!!!!

During school time, we only watch tv Friday evenings and Saturdays. And so I decided that I needed to cut down the 'tele' watching and see if my nice kids would re-emerge. And they did. I don't think tv is a bad thing. I have some very fond memories of cuddling up on the sofa with the whole family, watching a great film. But too much of anything.......

Anyway, we've had a great couple of days. Limited time watching tv and limited time on the computer has definitely improved the atmosphere in our home.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I agree with this totally-- too much tv really affects my kids...

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Ooo- I am glad I am not the only one with this problem:) I think the tele will be going to sleep for awhile here at our house too. I got your email. I will respond by tonight but yeah- getting there. It will be lovely!

Katie said...

I am so glad that this isn't something I have to deal with yet. Colin cannot sit through a whole television program. Gabe will watch as much TV as I let him, but since his older brother keeps busy with other stuff, he does too! I have very strong memories of lazing around watching hours of TV during the summer and being super cranky and quarrelsome because of it. Good for you for figuring it out and putting your foot down!